July 22, 2011

Printed Matters

Another thing I love about New York is, it's one of the few cities you can find everything, and I mean every-single-thing you can possibly imagine. 

For example, I was walking around Soho, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I walk by this little shit-hole magazine store... and what do I see? A huge collection of the worlds most beautiful magazines on the window display. Those magazines you see over and over again on blogs or online and wish you could hold and flick through with your own two hands. Those beautifully printed pages that are actually books but like to call themselves magazines to keep a low profile and make suckers like me WANT them so badly we want to cry... yeah, "those". 

Anyway, that lovely shit hole had thousands of "those". Of course I wanted them all. And of course, "those" cost a fortune, so I was only able to get two: "the gentlewoman" and "Self Service" - both great magazines, graphically speaking. But the editorial content as well as the entire concept of "the gentlewoman" really really blew me away. What an incredibly well executed, designed, thought-out piece of work, literally intoxicating. 

Here's the link to their official site - you can find out more about the idea behind it, and see part of the magazine too... if you're interested!