December 26, 2010

An education

No.7 - Vampire Weekend "Contra"

I must admit, the first couple of times I heard both "Horchata" and "Cousins" (the first two singles released from Contra) not only did I find them ridiculous, but I thought to myself: damn, Vampire Weekend just went down the drain. Which was sad considering how much I liked their first album. The next couple of times, they started growing on me and by the time I heard the entire album I actually liked them... a lot.

Haters will always hate these four preppy, yet hip Columbia boys, but I personally think they are such a cool band. Their style is completely different to everything and everyone else out there; their multicultural sounds (afro-pop, orchestral pieces, reggae, etc) makes it different to define their music genre, yet it all sounds so good as a whole; and they have the most amazing art direction. They have the coolest, almost home made music videos / their web design is pretty awesome too / both album covers are simple yet undeniably eye catching.

(If you haven't seen "Giving Up The Gun", please do so)